Wisdom tooth removal is extremely common. According to a study published by the American Dental Association, about 40% of Americans over the age of 18 had one or more wisdom teeth removed during their lifetime, and 17% had more than one removed. In light of that statistic, wisdom tooth removal Woodway must have some pretty big benefits.
There are a lot of benefits to having your wisdom teeth removed. Many people wonder why it’s not just as simple as removing the impacted cavities. The truth is, many reasons cause wisdom tooth removal Woodway. But if you want to improve your health and dental health, then you should consider having this procedure done.
Let’s take a look at the biggest benefits of treatment for wisdom teeth
- Preventing infection or decay. Wisdom teeth are often the last teeth to erupt in people with crowded mouths and a high level of intestinal bacteria. This is because they attach to the gum line rather than erupt through it.
- Preventing damage to other teeth. When wisdom teeth are removed, their root is exposed and can be damaged by erosion from chewing gum or acidic foods like oranges. This creates an ideal environment for bacteria to grow in, leading to an infection that could spread throughout the jawbone and cause more harm than good if left untreated.
- Removing these teeth also makes it easier for your dentist to repair any damage caused by decay with fillings or crowns later on down the road.
- Alleviating or lessening pain in your face and mouth. Wisdom teeth are often located in areas that are tightly packed together with other teeth and bones within the mouth; this can make extraction painful for some people because nerves can become pinched during surgery
- Decrease the risk of oral disease and inflammation
Dental cavities and various forms of gum disease are made more likely by the persistence of wisdom teeth, particularly impacted ones. A frequent consequence of impacted wisdom teeth is inflammation of the gums, which can be persistent and very difficult to treat .
- Ease your bite alignment problems
The wide space between your upper and lower front teeth makes it difficult for you to align your bite properly when you smile or speak .
What is the recovery from wisdom teeth removal like?
You’ll be asked to keep pressure on it by biting your jaws together for about an hour. This allows the blood clot to form within the empty socket, which encourages the healing process. You may be prescribed antibiotics to prevent infection.
For 24 hours after your procedure, you should avoid:
- Drinking hot liquids such as coffee or soup
- Rinsing your mouth out with liquid (which could dislodge the clot)
- Smoking or drinking alcohol (which could result in infection)
- Strenuous physical activity (which may encourage bleeding)
If you have had wisdom teeth removed before and you want them out again because they are causing you problems now, then it may be worth considering another extraction as there is no guarantee that they will not return again later on down the line when you’re older.
To sum up, wisdom teeth extraction is a very safe and simple procedure. With that said, it also has some associated risks. Before deciding to undergo the procedure, it’s crucial to undergo an evaluation by your dentist or surgeon so they can determine whether you should get it done or not. The decision should be based on your risk factors and other factors like what’s best for your long-term oral health.
If you’re in pain or struggling to maintain oral hygiene because of wisdom teeth, give your dentist a call today to set up an appointment.
Dr. Robinson is a highly experienced Tooth Extraction Dentist Woodway who has been performing the procedure for over 20 years. He is committed to providing his patients with the best possible care and experience. That’s why he offers a free consultation and a cheap tooth extraction Woodway. Contact us today at 425-778-1164 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Robinson or visit our website at www.robinson-dental.com. We look forward to meeting you and helping you achieve your dental goals.